Friday, March 7, 2008

Down in the Hole

-OR-
My real estate situation is paining.

So for the last 5-6 years (who knows?) I've lived in an unusual, character-filled 1800s house in Stone Hill, a very old neighborhood in Baltimore that I consider part of Hampden (although I'm quite sure the people who paid $350K-$1M for their homes do not). The house is quaint- 6 and 1/2 foot to 7 foot ceilings, three floors, "chimney" staircase- so the rent is cheap. I'm one of only a few renters in the neighborhood and my house is the smallest and not in the state my neighbors would prefer. I get criticisms about the landscaping (I try to keep it neat but I'm no gardener, sometimes there will be weeds IN MY YARD), if my car bumper is in front of their property, blah, blah, blah. We live in a city, not the suburbs.

And, frankly, over the last two years the place has fallen apart. I currently have an exposed duct heating system in my kitchen (rather than in the wall) because the wiring is so old that it would have been too expensive to hard-wire it. There is a large section of my kitchen floor that is plywood because it started to collapse a few months ago and had to be replaced. Last week I had no electricity for a day. Oh and the bathroom and third floor aren't insulated.

So I'm looking for a place for under $1,000 a month in Hampden. For two people, that's not a shoebox because it's my brother living with me still and we need some space.

HA! NOT LIKELY.
So I'm stuck in this cold collapsing shack surrounded by snotty neighbors FOREVER.
WAH.

Disqus

Who knows